Sonja Žakula was born in 1985 in Belgrade, where she finished primary school and the Philological high school (with an accent on the classics). She completed her graduate studies at the University of Belgrade, department of ethnology and anthropology in 2009, and completed her MA at the same department in 2010. Her thesis, titled “The Scientific construction of Cultural Conceptions about Animals” won the department’s award for best MA paper in 2010.
From 2004 to 2009 she was engaged as a junior teaching assistant at the ethnology/ socio-cultural anthropology seminar at Petnica Science Center. From 2009 she is engaged as a teaching assistant and deputy head of the anthropology seminar at PSC. Since 2013 she is head of the Anthropology seminar at Petnica Science Center.
During 2009 she worked as a researcher on the Governance in higher education in Serbia project organized by the Center for Education Policy from Belgrade. The resulting paper, “Decision making in Higher Education in Serbia – an Ethnographic study of the Senat of the University of Novi Sad” is due to be published in an edited volume collecting all the papers resulting from the project.
Since February 2011 she is employed as a research assistant on the Cultural heritage and identity project at the Ethnographic institute of the SASA.
Fields of interest: human-animal relations and critical animal studies, anthropology of the Internet and virtual realities, material culture and the anthropology of popular music.
She is fluent in English, has basic knowledge of Italian and German, and a basic knowledge of Latin and Ancient Greek.
- Žakula, S. (ed.) 2008. The post, studentski antropološki časopis, no. 3, Beograd: KSEA – editor in chief
- Žakula, S. (2011) „Zimski seminar antropologije u Istraživačkoj stanici Petnica“, in: Antropologija, no. 1 (11), pp. 229-230
- Žakula, S. (2011) „Upotreba pojma ’kultura’ u studijama savremene srpske kulturne politike“, in: Glasnik Etnografskog instituta SANU no. LIX (2), pp. 257-260
- Žakula, S. 2012. „Da li kiborzi sanjaju biomehaničke ovce? Telo i hiperrealnost“, in: Antropologija no. 2 (12), pp. 43-61
- Žakula, S. 2012. „Šta je danas vukodlak? Semiološka analiza tekstova o ’tamnavskom vukodlaku’“, in: Etnoantropološki problemi no. 7 (4), pp. 1017-1032
- Žakula, S. 2013. „(Ne) razumeti Darvina: evolucija i konstrukcija granice između ljudi i životinja“, in: Kulturna prožimanja: antropološke perspektive, ed. Srđan Radović, 31-50. Beograd: Etnografski institut SANU (Zbornik Etnografskog instituta 28)
- Žakula, S. 2013. „Narativizacija jednog nesvakidašnjeg događaja u Beogradskom zoološkom vrtu: semiotička analiza priče o keruši Gabi i jaguaru“ in: Etnoantropološki problemi no. 8 (4), pp. 1047-1069
- Žakula, S. 2014. „Životinjsko telo, nasilje i moralna panika: slučaj keruše Mile“, in: Glasnik Etnografskog instituta SANU 62 (1), pp. 163 – 178
- Žakula, S. 2015. „Međunarodna letnja škola i konferencija Keep it simple, make it fast! Crossing borders of underground music scenes“, in: Glasnik Etnografskog instituta SANU, u štampi
- (Ne)razumeti Darvina: evolucija i kulturna konceptualizacija granice između ljudi i životinja u antropološkoj perspektivi – presentation at the “Cultures and borders” international conference held in Vršac in 2011
- Da li kiborzi sanjaju biomehaničke ovce? Telo i hiperrealnost – presentation at the “Body, (bio)technologies and power” conference held at the Faculty of Philosophy in Belgrade in 2011
- Keynote lecture titled ’The animal turn’ in the social sciences: unnatural histories, anthropomorphism and the voiceless Other held at the Fourth International Archaeology Students Conference STARCO, held at Zlatibor in March 2013
- Presentation titled „Koncept ’verovanja’ u radovima Tihomira Đorđevića o životinjama“ given at the ’Etnos’, religija i identitet: naučni skup u čast Dušana Bandića conference held in April 2014 at the Faculty of Philosophy in Belgrade
- Presentation titled „The Separation of Scene and State: the Balkanization of the Belgrade Punk Scene in the Wake of the Wars in Yugoslavia“ given at the international Keep it simple, make it fast: crossing borders of underground music scenes conference held at the University of Porto in Portugal in July 2015
- Presentation titled „Punk, politics and resistance“ given at the Punk now! Conference and postgraduate symposium held at City University Birmingham, UK in October 2015
- 2009 Center for education policy, Belgrade – researcher with the “Governing in higher education in Serbia” project
- 2012 ran the “Mind, language and culture” interdisciplinary seminar of social sciences and humanities at Petnica Science Center
- Naučno kreiranje kulturnih predstava o životinjama – lecture held at the department of Archaeology at the Faculty of Philosophy in Belgrade, as part of the “Archaeology and Social Anthropology” course
- 2014 and 2015 coordinated the Anthropology exhibit as part of European Researcher’s Night in Belgrade
- Studije ljudsko-životinjskih odnosa u antropologiji – lecture held at The Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory in Belgrade, June 2015