Academic title: PhD
Research position: Research Associate
Research interests: ethnology and anthropology of the world, anthropology of childhood and youth, urban anthropology, youth studies, anthropology of migration.
Katarina Mitrović is a Research Associate at the Institute of Ethnography of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts. She was born in 1991 in Belgrade, where she finished primary and secondary school. She completed her undergraduate, master's and doctoral studies at the Department of Ethnology and Anthropology, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Belgrade. She graduated in 2015 defending her bachelor's thesis titled: “Language and Identity: Defense of Identity through the Prism of Native American Languages”. She received her master's degree a year later with her master's thesis “International Student Exchange as an Anthropological Issue: Case Study of Student Migrations between Serbia and North America” being awarded the "Borivoje Drobnjaković" award issued by the Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade. She received her doctoral degree in 2021 after defending the doctoral dissertation “The Phenomenon of ‘Extended Youth’ in Belgrade: Ethnological and Anthropological Analysis”. During her studies, she participated in exchange programs enriching her academic experience by studying in the United States (University of Wyoming, Laramie 2014-2015) and Greece (Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, Athens 2019). She received scholarships from the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, the Fund for Young Talents of the Republic of Serbia, the Global UGRAD program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, and the Erasmus + program of the European Union.
From 2016 to 2021, Katarina Mitrović was engaged at the Department of Ethnology and Anthropology and the Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Belgrade. She assisted with two courses: Anthropology of the World - Comparative Religion and National Ethnology/Anthropology - Body and Identity. Furthermore, she participated in the following research projects of the Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology: “Identity Policies of European Union: Adaptation and Application in the Republic of Serbia” (177017) and "Anthropological Study of Serbia - from Cultural Heritage to Modern Society" (177035). Katarina Mitrović also participated in the international projects Shared Cities: Creative Momentum (2017) and The Western Balkans as a “double transit” room: Solidarities, boundary drawings and boundary transgressions between migrants and local residents on their way to the EU (2020). Since 2021, she has been working in the editorial office of the journals Anthropology and Anthropological Journal of European Cultures. In addition to her regular participation in scientific conferences, she is also the author of several scientific papers in relevant publications.
The following areas pertain to Katarina Mitrović's professional and research interests: ethnology and anthropology of the world, anthropology of childhood and youth, urban anthropology, youth studies, and anthropology of migration.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. “Together Alone: Opportunities and Limitations of Mature Coresidency during the COVID-19 Pandemic“. Bulletin of the Institute of Ethnography SASA 69 (3): 641-656. (in Serbian)
- Mitrović, Katarina M. and Marija Brujić. 2021. “Good Parenting in Post-socialist Serbia: Too Much Parental Care or Too Many Children’s Needs? Anthropological Reflections“. Anthropology 21 (1): 29-46.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2021. „Anthropology of Space in the Context of ’Extended Youth’ Phenomenon Research“. Anthropology 21 (1): 87-112. (in Serbian)
- Naumović, Slobodan, Marija Brujić and Katarina M. Mitrović. 2021. “Introduction to the Anthropology of Photography in Serbia”. Bulletin of the Institute of Ethnography SASA 69 (3): 151-171. (in Serbian)
- Mitrović, Katarina M. and Ana Dajić. 2018. ”Keepers of the Park“: Participatory Projecting and Anthropological Rethinking of Plateau in Mileševska Street, Belgrade. Papers in Ethnology and Anthropology 18 (29): 41-60. (in Serbian)
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2018. “Srebrica Knežević: Academic and Pedagogical Framework in Ethnology and Anthropology”. Bulletin of the Institute of Ethnography SASA 66 (1): 73-88. (in Serbian)
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2017. “International Student Exchange between Serbia and North America: Research Context”. Bulletin of the Ethnographic Museum 81: 59-79. (in Serbian)
Conference and workshop presentations
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2021. “Living with parents: neighborhood as a reason to stay” (abstract). Conference: Balkan Express- Neighbors and neighborhood in the Balkans; Faculty of Humanities, Charles University, Institute of History of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Ethnology of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of International Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University, Czech Association for Slavic, Balkan and Byzantine Studies, p. 13, Prague, 12-13.11.2021.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2021. “(Re)living the trauma of migration“. Workshop: Beyond Victimhood and Stigmatization: Trauma, Ruptured Memories and Agency in the Context of Global Migration; CeMig (Centre for Global Migration Studies), Adam von Trott Foundation and the University of Göttingen, 4-5.3.2021.
- Erdei, Ildiko, Marta Stojić Mitrović, Teodora Jovanović and Katarina M. Mitrović. 2020. “Šid borderscapes: memories, experiences and interpretations of borders and refugee movements“. Workshop: The Countries of Former Yugoslavia as ’Double Transit’; Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research, Zagreb, 21-22.8.2020.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2019. “Native Americans and Authenticity” (abstract). Conference: The Concept of Mimesis in Interdisciplinary Perspective, Somló Bódog Association Hungarian National Museum, pp. 43 - 44, Budapest, 1.4 2019.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2019. “Coexistence and Postponed Adulthood: Parents as the Best Roommates” (abstract). Conference: Balkan Express- Living together – Tolerance, Coexistence, Reconciliation; Faculty of Humanities, Charles University, Institute of Ethnology of the Czech Academy of Sciences and Institute of History of the Czech Academy of Sciences with the support of the Institute of International Relations, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University in Prague, p. 19, Prague, 8.-9.11.2019.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2018. ”Education System and Identity of Native Americans” (abstract). Conference: Society, Science, Progress: Lewis Henry Morgan (1818-1881), University of Belgrade, COTA and HoAn, p.17, Belgrade, 30.11.2018.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. 2018. “Keepers of the Park (Čuvari parka): participatory project and anthropological mapping“. SIEF International Summer School: Giving Voice? Facilitating Social and Community Resilience; Portsoy, Scotland, UK, 22-29.6.2018.
- Mitrović, Katarina M. and Jelena Ćuković ed. 2018. Conference Proceedings Society, Science, Progress: Lewis Henry Morgan (1818-1881). Belgrade: Department of Ethnology and Anthropology, Faculty of Philosophy.